Saturday 19 January 2008

Even more on Brakes




Since I haven't finished the brake pipework yet, I've been moving the car around using the parking brake. This isn't that easy since it's one of those weird American style ones with a pedal and a release lever.

When I was stuck on the main braking system, I thought I'd adjust the parking brake. It took a while, but I got it to a point where both wheels could be locked and the car wouldn't move on the parking brake - great - or so I thought.

On returning to it, the parking brake had jammed on. Even releasing it, it applies itself when it feels like it - especially in reverse.

Time for a more detailed investigation.

The first thing I found was that the 68 was missing the return spring. The photos show the one I stole from the '67.

The second thing was that the equaliser bar was fitted the wrong way round - this means the left hand brake will operate way before the right hand and adjusting the cable tight enough to get the right hand one working leads to binding on the right hand side. I suspected this after consulting the workshop manual and confirmed it by checking on my new best friend, the unmessed with '67.

No comments: